Thursday, September 10, 2009

don't stop believing

Day 11
Today, one of the dudes at my job training came up to me to compliment my aggressive lobbying during an earlier presentation, during which we had to defend our imaginary choices to send our theoretical children to public schools, charter schools, or private schools on vouchers. Another girl and I got sort of into arguing in favor of a public school education and against the weaknesses we found in other groups' presentations, I guess because I figured that was what we were supposed to do. The guy actually smiled, which a lot of people don't do when they approach me, so he probably could have told me he thought I was not only tragically out of touch with the current state of education, but destined to be alone forever, and I would have probably considered it a positive interaction.

"You made some good points about charter schools. I just want you to know I"m not sure how I feel about them either. Everyone in our group was kind of questioning if we really believed what we were saying. We were kind of like, 'Is this really right?'"
"Oh, it's okay. I don't expect you to send your real kids to charter schools or anything like that. I just got really into it."
-chuckle, chuckle, chuckle.

It then occurred to me that this probably counted as "flirting," in some weird, AmeriCorps way, and I smiled to myself, because I don't get out much anymore.

No comments: