Tuesday, September 8, 2009

white whine

Day 8


Tonight I found out that my internet cannot possibly be turned on because of some problem with my application, and I also found out that I would have never know this if I hadn't called to ask if I was entering my password incorrectly because I couldn't access my internet account. So I went to the internet cafe pretty much across the street from my apartment, and there were some other charming people there, doing the same thing. Except they didn't get the "free internet with purchase" idea. They tried to count hot water as their purchase, because they'd already brought their own delicious tea that was just so good that they couldn't imagine having any other tea that would cost them $2.00. One of the girls asked if the cafe served "hot water with lemon." The barista helped her out by suggesting that they had hot water, and they had lemon. Then she gave it all to them, including the internet code, for free. While she was doing all this generous work, one of the girls kept chatting about how their internet was getting turned on the next day it it was "really exciting, hahaha!" for them.

I have a pretty good idea that these girls, at least combined, have a bigger salary than I do, unless they are both unemployed and have dead parents. I would have made more, in a year, as an hourly employee at Jimmy John's, so clearly they weren't completely suffering for funds, and probably could have splurged on a $2.00 tea to make everyone's internet-using experience more enjoyable.

I felt so bad for the employees that I bought a chai and a cookie that I didn't even want, even though it was delicious. But actually, I kind of like people like that, because they make annoying things that I do, like refuse to decide what kind of cookie I want even though they’re all pretty much the same, exceedingly less annoying.