Saturday, November 14, 2009

Celebrity Toe


For a while, since Christian Louboutin came on my radar, I've envied what I think of as the "celebrity toe." All fashion-forward celebrities have it - the elusive, not pointy but not rounded and definitely not the dreaded square toe, perfectly curved almond toe. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with this, but I am, and I've searched tirelessly, even refusing to buy other shoes, for a poor girl's almond toe pump. This weekend, I finally find myself the proud owner of $80 almond-toe heels, courtesy of Aldo, that make my feet look as famous as I've dreamed. It's typical, I know, to imagine that owning a certain item or style of clothing will drastically improve your life, help you make friends, become more respected, generally desired, and loved by everyone, and that's definitely what these shoes have done for me. I imagined my short, stumpy, small-footed self sliding into a pair of celebrity-imitation shoes and automatically turning from a college-student pumpkin into an adult. I'd sort of imagined that once my shoes gave the illusion of my perfect toes, I'd project the natural style and elegance of Marion Cotillard or Rihanna. I guess that might happen, but it's probably important to note that the only reason I was inspired to make this stupid dream a reality was because my boss told me I needed shoes that made me look more grown up, and the shoe salesman told me that these shoes would help me gain respect as a short person in the workplace. Thanks. It is confusing that I have not turned into Marion Cotillard, complete with Frechman on my arm. But I am a little taller, so at least won't get mistaken for an eighth grader. And, you know, our toes look the same.