Sunday, November 29, 2009

i guess this rubbish was considered acceptable at a college with a conservatory

In college, some of my favorite pastimes, for which I also received moderate praise from my peers, included making sculptures out of wire and cheesecloth, and drinking. Still, I would have never thought that asking someone to watch me do these things counted as a “date.” It’s possible to argue that most dates revolve around drinking as an activity. I would argue that because there is some standard of conversation, the drinking experienced during these “dates,” cannot count as a pastime. I mean, I get it, you are good at playing guitar, which is an impressive talent, but I’m not one of those girls who is blind to the fact that this is not a symbol of virility or even an indication that you will produce children without any birth defects. It just demonstrates diligence, talent, and quick fingers, which does more for some people than others. And if you’ve invited me to your little guitar concert as a “date,” or even a “hang out,” it also demonstrates an inflated sense of self-worth. Maybe once I’ve been given some reasons to care about you I will be interested in sitting by myself and watching you play an instrument. But until then, unless you want to spend the next night watching me go for a run, let's do something where we're both on equal ground, shall we?