Saturday, January 2, 2010

sparkle motion

I'm not a kind of person who hates or dreads or begrudges going out on New Year's - I'm not the kind of person who begrudges going out EVER, really - and as a result, I tend to look forward to it, and dread listening to people complain about what a chore it is. I guess I don't care what night it is, I'm never going to turn down a night of getting dressed up and drinking champagne with my friends. Seriously, what's bad about that? I spend my life in a boring J. Crew pencil skirt, staring at a computer and flipping backwards in an office chair, so who the hell am I to quibble about how fun or not fun going out for one night is going to be? I never do anything monumental, anyway - I just go and sit in a bar with my friends in a sparkly outfit. Why must the world begin to shame my love for this activity, now, too? First, I learn that many people do not look forward to receiving Snoopy valentines from their grandparents every February the 14th, and now I learn that they also do not enjoy sitting in bars while wearing sparkly outfits. What a world.

As usual, because I can seemingly do nothing without consequence, as my dad drove me home, I stopped three times to throw up on the side of I-43 between Sheboygan and Milwaukee. It felt like high school without the novelty. My dad laughed. I deserved it. The adult world has gifted me with the ass of a preschool teacher and the stomach of a preschooler. I will maintain that the reason I spent the entire next day puking was because of the outrageous sugar overload caused by Bellinis and free champagne, and also my accelerated track toward becoming OLD.

Here's what I wore, pretty much to a tee, although we all ended up swapping our classier shoes for boots, because Appleton is a frozen tundra without appreciation for nice things, or the way heels make your ankles look. I went with a more subtle gold instead of the straight up sparkle I'm usually prone to, because I dread looking overdressed in Appleton bars. I'm still traumatized from attempting to wear a faux fur vest, neon pink leopard print leggings, and my favorite gold sequined dress (not at once), and receiving way less than positive feedback. Now I try to stay further in their comfort zone of Packer's jerseys and/or Wet Seal.

New Year's crown included. All night. And the next morning, as I woke up, apparently.

New Year!